This is not your average lemon poppy seed loaf. First, the combination of lemons and oranges together give extra brightness and flavour. Secondly, this loaf gets soaked with a tangy and sweet syrup giving it tons of moisture.
For an extra special touch, I topped the loaf with slices of quick homemade candied oranges and lemons making it a perfect addition to your Easter celebration.
Citrus and Poppy Seed Loaf
½ cup butter
1 cup sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 orange
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2 Tbsp poppy seeds
¾ cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
Juice of ½ a lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9” x 5” loaf pan (or two smaller loaf pans) with butter, then parchment paper. Butter and flour the parchment paper. All ingredients should be at room temperature before starting.
- Cream butter, sugar, lemon zest and orange zest until fluffy.
- Mix in eggs one at a time.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk to blend.
- Combine all remaining wet ingredients (milk, vanilla, lemon) in another bowl.
- To the first wet mixture (butter, sugar, zests) add the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with the second wet ingredients (milk, vanilla, lemon), starting and ending with the dry.
- Fill the loaf pan(s) and level the batter with a spatula.
- Bake for 50-55 min until slightly golden brown and a knife comes out clean. Leave the loaf in pan until the syrup is poured over top and the loaf cools completely.
Juice of 1 ½ lemons
Juice of ½ orange
Zest of 1 lemon
¼ cup sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a small pot over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 7-10 min.
- Using a sharp knife or toothpick, poke holes in the loaf (this helps to better absorb the syrup).
- Pour syrup over loaf and remove once cooled.
Candied orange and lemon slices
½ cup water
½ cup sugar
- Combine the water and sugar in a pot over medium heat. Thinly slice some orange and lemon rounds and place in the pot.
- Bring mixture to a boil and let simmer for about 3-5 minutes.
- Take out the orange and lemon slices with a fork and let cool on a cutting board.
- Cut the slices to arrange on top of the cake as you wish.
Andreja Juknevicius is a Pastry Chef based in Toronto. After graduating from University, she followed her passion for baking and studied at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, France. Her experience includes working at a top pastry boutique in Paris, as well as creating dessert menus for some of the finest restaurants in the city.