Celebrate the beginning of spring and Easter with these cute bird’s nest inspired sugar cookies topped with a zesty lemon cream and your favourite chocolate egg candies. This is a great recipe to make with children and gives you a chance to be creative!
Makes approximately 30 medium sized cookies
¾ cup room temperature butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
¼ cup corn starch
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, corn starch, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl (or mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment), mix the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and incorporated.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla until incorporated.
- Add all of the dry ingredients and mix until dough is formed.
- Shape the dough into two disks, wrap in plastic wrap and let rest in the fridge for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly dust your counter with flour and have some flour in a bowl to use while rolling out your cookies.
- Take your cool and rested dough and work it with your hands to loosen it up before rolling it out. This will avoid the dough cracking as you roll it out.
- Roll out your dough to about a ¼ of an inch thickness and use a round cookie cutter to cut out circles. Place cut out circles on a parchment paper lined cookie tray leaving an inch of space in between cookies.
- Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden.
- Let cookies cool completely before decorating,
½ cup room temperature butter
2 cups icing sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
- Cream the butter for 2 minutes until it becomes lighter.
- Add the icing sugar, lemon zest and juice and mix until incorporated. The cream should be thick enough to spread and maintain it’s shape. If it is too thick, add more lemon juice. If it is too thin, add more icing sugar.
- Using a small spatula or small knife, spread the lemon cream on top of the cookie in a swirl motion to resemble a birds nest. Dust with cocoa powder and arrange chocolate eggs on top. (Any bulk food store should have a nice variety of chocolate Easter eggs for decorating with).
Note: You can make any desired cookie shape and decorate with other items such as sprinkle, or dye the lemon cream using food colour. These cookies are also great to sandwich together and simply dust with icing sugar.
Andreja Juknevicius is a Pastry Chef based in Toronto. After graduating from University, she followed her passion for baking and studied at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, France. Her experience includes working at a top pastry boutique in Paris, as well as creating dessert menus for some of the finest restaurants in the city.