The tanginess of the lemon and coconut cream goes perfectly with the slightly salty graham crust that has shredded coconut in it for extra texture. Enjoy a small slice with a cup of tea this Easter!
Makes one 9 inch round tart
1 ¼ cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
2 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp maple syrup (or corn syrup)
8 tbsp melted coconut oil (or melted butter)
Lemon and Coconut cream:
1 cup raw unsalted cashews
1 can (290ml) sweetened coconut cream (I buy it at Bulkbarn)
¾ cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
3 tbsp corn startch
- Place the cashews in a small bowl and pour over boiling hot water to cover them completely. Let sit for 1 hour. This softens the cashews. Drain off the water and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9 inch ‘spring form pan’ or tart pan and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the grahman cracker crumbs, shredded coconut, , sugar and salt. Mix the melted coconut oil with the maple syrup and pour it over the mixture and stir to combine.
- Press the crust mixture into the bottom of the pan. (see photo)
- Bake for approximately 15 min, until it is golden in colour.
- To prepare the lemon and coconut cream: Place the softened cashews, coconut cream, lemon juice, lemon zest and corn starch into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour over the crust in the pan and bake at 350° for approximately 30-40 min, until the centre is no longer liquidy, but firm (similar to a cheesecake).
- Let the tart cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before removing it.
- Dust the top with icing sugar and decorate with lemon slices as desired.